Scene: You walk into your local gym with the mindset of “ok I am going to get my workout on!” After checking your kids into childcare, you walk out and realize you have no idea what to do. If you start with cardio, will all your energy be gone before weights? But if you start with weights will you wish you had just gotten cardio out of the way first? And how do most of these machines work anyhow? Valuable time is ticking away. The pressure is on.
I know this feeling and have had it on several occassions. As moms, the last thing we need holding us back from doing something good for our health and fitness is knowing that we will just end up feeling awkward.
Here are 3 ways you can ensure you get the most out of any time at the gym!
1) Classes! If your gym offers classes, try them out! As an instructor, I tell peoople to give my class three tries. Because that’s typically how long it takes to begin feeling like you aren’t the least coordinated person in there. Classes are a great way to get a full body, instructed workout in a reasonable amount of time!
2) Cardio/Weights/Cardio. Here is the workout I love on days I am pressed for time and not entirely sure what to do.
- Sprint/Run/Walk 1 mile (less or more, remember- this is about your own personal goals and current fitness level!)
- Head to that weight room. It. Is. Not. Scary. The first thing I want you to do there is realize this- you are not alone! Most all of those other gym goers are also a bit lost when it comes to working those contraptions.
- Forego the machines and pick up two dumbells (weight of your choice). Dumbells can take you through many workouts. Here are a couple moves I particularly like (bicep curls and shoulder press)
You can also hold the weights at your sides and do lunges up and down the weight room.
And just like that, people will think you know what you are doing!
- If you have the time, do one more round of the cardio like you did in the beginning.
3) Move for 30 minutes! This can be the eliiptial (a bit easier on the joints for some), treadmill, stairstepper…the options are endless. Sticking to one machine is not a bad thing!
What kind of workout tips most interest you? What workout fears have you overcome? Comment and share!