Interested in a unique dessert that will not only please a crowd of kids but also a crowd of co-workers at an office party? Read on, and then stop at the grocery store on your way home tonight. I promise this will be a hit no matter who you are baking for!
Here is what you what need:
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 ½ t. shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 T. water
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ t. baking soda
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 cup Reese’s peanut butter chips
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- ½ cup Halloween M & M’s – orange and brown (optional)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 3 drops yellow food coloring and 2 drops red food coloring
- Chocolate covered donuts (2-4 small or large)
- Pipe cleaners
- Plastic google eyes
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly grease a 12 inch pizza pan (I use a disposable foil pizza pan)
- In a large mixing bowl beat sugar and butter until creamy
- Add egg, water and vanilla and beat well
- Mix in flour, baking soda and salt
- Stir in peanut butter chips by hand
- Spread batter in prepared pan within ½ inch of edge
- Bake 11-13 minutes, until just set
- Remove from oven and sprinkle marshmallows, chocolate chips, pecans and M & M’s over top
- Return to oven and bake an additional 5-7 minutes until marshmallows are just slightly golden brown
- Cool completely
- Drizzle with chocolate and orange drizzle in a circle. Drag a knife through to make a web pattern.
- Orange Drizzle: Mix together ½ cup powdered sugar and 1 T. water. Add 3 drops yellow food coloring and 2 drops red food coloring and blend well.
- Chocolate drizzle: In a small microwave safe bowl melt ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 ½ t. shortening until just melted.
- You can also heat canned chocolate icing in a small microwave safe bowl until just melted. The same can be done with white icing for the orange drizzle and add the food coloring.
Put 2 chocolate covered donuts (large or small) together with chocolate icing. Use pipe cleaners to make spider legs. Cut in half if necessary. Insert 4 legs on each side of top donut in the shape of a spider leg. Use 2 plastic google eyes on top of each donut. Be sure small children do not eat the eyes!
Have fun with the spiders by using brightly colored pipe cleaners or the traditional black or dark brown.