Do you have those days where you weren’t necessarily planning on it, but your day ends up with no time to pit stop at home between work, kid pick-up, soccer and dance class? Here are some ideas of things to keep in your car so you are always armed with preparedness!
1) Extra Diaper/Wipes- If you are a mama of a wee one (no pun intended!), it is going to happen – you will find yourself out of diapers and wipes. In a public place. With a kid who has a blow-out.
2) Towel – Ever gone to the park but the slides and swings are wet from a recent rain? I keep a towel or two in my car so I can wipe up moisture without having kids with wet bottoms.
3) Phone Charger – Moms, you spend a lot of time in your car. Utilize that time by at least ensuring your phone is charging.
4) Non Perishable, Non Melting Snacks– Kristina blogged a couple weeks ago about her kids not snacking. At two and five, my kids still snack – and always seem to be the most hungry in the car when I have nothing. I now keep almonds and dry cheerios in the car just to at least have something to offer them and stop their crying.
5) Blankets – For kids to nap in the car or to just keep warm, a cozy blanket is a good thing to keep folded up and handy.
6) Pen and Paper – I have been waiting in the parking lot to pick up my son from school while multi tasking on a call and find myself needing to write something down. Also handy if you get in an accident (though let’s hope these are rare!) and need to write down information. You can also multi-task and write your grocery list while you’re stopped in the school pick-up line!
7) Grooming kit for you (deodorant, comb and lip gloss) – There have been many times I have been grateful to keep a couple beauty items on hand in the car when I find myself going straight from one thing to another without having time to stop at home.
8) Extra Sunglasses– I always keep a couple $5 pairs just in case my good pair is left at home. I have sensitive eyes and hate being blinded by the sun!
9) Emergency toys – Just in case you find yourself out longer than anticipated or perhaps at a restaurant without stopping at home. Having some extra toys/coloring books on hand can save you from complete melt-downs.
10) Spare Key Holder – I won’t spill the beans on where I keep mine but having a spare key has saved my husband several times. You do not want to be stranded, especially if you have your kids with you.
To ensure these items are not taking over too much space, keep them all organized in a small bag in your trunk.
What are some things you keep in your car to ensure you are ready for whatever the day throws your way?
Do you have a topic idea for Top Ten Tuesday? We’re looking for guest writers for this feature; email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your 1-2 sentence pitch. If it’s approved you’ll be asked to write the full article and it will be published on allmomdoes!