Parents, we need to show up today for our kids. I saw something so important on Facebook: ‘Newsflash, everybody: Your kids aren’t watching Trump. They aren’t watching Hillary. THEY ARE WATCHING YOU.’
They need to see us respond in truth and grace. They will mimic us, they will learn from us, they will shape their worldview through us. It’s time to stop looking for a savior to be elected into the White House. Friends, our savior HAS ALREADY COME and he will come again. His name is Jesus. This election, the vote you cast, does not change that very important fact. Not one single person ever for eternity elected into the White House will save this world.
So, here are a few thoughts on how we can talk to our kids about the election:
- Our mission in life remains the same: Love God. Love people.
- God has already won. It doesn’t matter who sits in the white house. I know how this ends.
- The bible is still truth yesterday, today and tomorrow. It remains unchanging and relevant to our times.
- We always have a choice. Don’t let being right rob you of being kind.
- Let’s listen more. Talk less.
- Don’t be afraid to talk to people. Open a dialogue. Get curious about their lives. Every one of us has walked a different path to get to where we are today. Let’s swap life stories and learn from one another.
- Assume the best in people.
- Be grateful. Choose joy.
- Be a good friend.
- Serve. Your neighbors. Your friends. People you don’t know. Help. Offer a hand to someone in need. Show up. Live.
We are broken people in a broken world. This will always be the case. God didn’t tell us we would have an easy peasy time in life. But, the state of the world doesn’t have to define the state of our hearts. What kind of world are we going to leave our children? A broken one. It will always be broken. But, even more importantly, what kind of children are we going to leave this world? Let’s help them walk the divide.