This has been an epic season of colds and the flu so we all need some new ways to boost ourselves up and stay healthy. In an effort to try to stay healthy and kick the colds faster, I solicited advice from my friends on their favorite remedies and immunity boosters. Keep these handy and add to the list if you have others.
(Special thanks to the mommas + 1 dad who shared their ideas: Mandy, Nancy, Emily, Gunnar, Robin, Sharon, Brianna, Tracy, Julie, Sarah & Jamie)
1. Emergen-C – My husband likes to mix this in orange juice for a little extra boost. It’s yummy too!
2. Gargle with warm/hot salt water (best for adults and not kids) – This mix helps kill germs and bacteria in the mouth and throat.
3. Essential Oils – Eucalyptus and Peppermint are good for colds and frankincense, wild orange and arbovitae are great for an immunity boost. Lavender and tea tree oils are also great. I’ve purchased some oils from Rocky Mountain Oils, but I know friends who swear by both DoTerra and Young Living.
4. Honey or Agave Syrup for coughs – I LOVE honey. It’s just so great. We also use Zarbees Natural honey cough syrup for our kids and it works wonders. Best we’ve found.
5. Elderberry Syrup – This stuff is pretty delicious. You can make it at home, though I’ve heard it doesn’t taste quite as good and is pretty time consuming. You can buy this at any vitamin store or even at a Target or Fred Meyer. Elderberry is a great immunity booster and your kids will like this stuff too!
6. Apple Cider Vinegar – Drink this with some honey and lemon or mix it in some juice for the kiddos. You can do this daily as a boost! It has great acid-reducing and virus-fighting properties.
7. Garlic – I’ve been told there is a non stinky garlic. If you take the stinky stuff, just warn the people around you. Another tip is you could eat a lot of garlic bread. Roast some garlic to mellow it out a bit. I have known people just to munch on a clove of garlic, but that’s just not my thing so I would go with a pill or the bread.
8. Colloidal Silver – This stuff is used to treat a lot of different illnesses.
9. Ginger Lemon Honey ‘Goo’ – My friend Julie swears by sliced lemons and fresh ginger layered in a mason jar. You cover with honey and let sit a few hours. Then add 2-3 tsp of hot water or tea. This is loaded with vitamin c, antibacterial from the ginger and throat coat with the honey. It is yummy too!
10. Epsom salt is also great to help detox and increase circulation. Pour some in the bath and soak in the nice hot water – warm for the kids of course! You can pick this up pretty much anywhere – Walgreens, Target, etc.
11. Chicken Broth – Kristina has a great recipe you should check out. Get stocked up!
12. Menthol Rub on Feet – I know. You think this is weird. I did too. And, then I was desperate and did it and my kids are so much better. We get ours from the baby aisle because it has lavender in it and smells so much better, but I really do think the vicks vaporub kind tends to work faster.
Guess what should also be common practice, mom? REST AND WATER! I know, but it has to be said. How many times do we let ourselves get burned out. Lots. Rest up. Drink water. I’m drinking coffee right now as I type this and reminding myself we all need lots of water.
We’ve got this mommas, cold season has never seen a tougher bunch!
As always, discuss with your doctor before doing anything that may affect any other medications you are taking. It is always a great idea to get their opinion! We aren’t doctors, but rather mommas who are just sharing opinions on remedies that have worked for us.