If you’re a mom whose child has never gone through a picky-eating stage, hallelujah, you are truly blessed!
Because, most of us either get a picky eater from the get-go, or a kid who morphs from being a good eater into a food snob seemingly overnight. Either way, most moms are saddled with trying to get healthy food into their children at some point in their growing up years.
And, there are so many schools of thought on the subject:
- Make one dinner for everyone and if your child doesn’t eat they go to bed hungry.
- Offer choices to your kids and let them choose from your options.
- Cave in and let the little darlings eat whatever they want to.
I know moms who have tried everything and still dinnertime becomes a battle of wills with lots of tears and yelling (and, sometimes that’s mom!).
Well, I have another idea that’s perfect for the hot days of summer: homemade popsicles!
We’ve posted popsicle recipes before on All Mom Does:
But, it suddenly occurred to me that frozen treats on a stick would be an amazing way to sneak some nutritious foods into your kids without their seemingly built-in “vitamin radar” going off.
So, I perused my fridge and pantry and without even having to shop for ingredients I came up with a number of ideas for popsicles.
- Yogurt with fruit.
- Almond or coconut milk with a squeeze of chocolate syrup
- Organic lemonade with sliced strawberries
- Protein shake or kids’ meal replacement shake
- Health juice (homemade or bought in the produce department)
- Any homemade smoothie (you could even include greens and tell them it’s a “martian pop”)
The ideas really are endless. And, somehow, by freezing these healthy options into popsicle form, they suddenly become an acceptable food to eat (if they still balk, bury a prize for them to find in the center of their frozen “treat” such as a gummi worm, a cherry, or a few chocolate chips).
And, while you’re at it, don’t forget to make a few “Mom Pops” as well!
Good luck! And, Happy Summer from all of us here at allmomdoes.com!