Who doesn’t love pigs in a blanket? Hot dogs all rolled up in their own cute little bun.
They’re just plain irresistible. And delicious.
Here’s a new twist on the traditional pigs in a blanket that elevates everyone’s favorite app to new heights by wrapping them in puff pastry instead of the traditional crescent rolls. Light, airy, with a fantastic outer “crunch,” these little piggies can be easily personalized to suit your family’s tastes.
Plus, since they’re cut into bite-sized pieces they’ll be too cute for your kids to pass up.
- 1 pkg. Puff Pastry (located in your grocer’s freezer section, near the pie crusts)
- 1 pkg of your favorite pre-cooked sausage (hot dogs, franks, kielbasa, sausage links…the possibilities are endless)
- 1 egg
- ketchup, mustard, or your favorite condiment
- Set out the puff pastry for 20-40 minutes to thaw (use both sheets).
- When pliable, wrap the pastry around your hot dogs.
- Crack your egg into a dish and scramble it with a fork.
- With a brush (or the ends of a rolled paper towel if you don’t have one), use the egg wash to seal the inner seams and make them stick. Also brush the outside of the puff pastry with the egg wash.
- OPTIONAL: Sprinkle the crust with garlic or your favorite seasoning for added flavor.
- Slice into 1 ½ inch thick pieces and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes
- Serve with your favorite condiments.
These cute little bites work great as an easy dinner paired with raw veggies and ranch, or as football food for your next viewing party. I often make two versions – one with regular hot dogs for the kids, and one with spicy sausage so the grown-ups can enjoy an extra kick!