Avocado is THE thing right now, and people are using it for way more than guacamole. Put it on your sandwiches, spread it on toast, blend it into your favorite “green goddess” salad dressing.
The possibilities are endless.
I’ve been using avocado to dress up my meals for years, but sometimes I want a little more “zip” on my sandwich spread than simple avocados.
Enter: this creamy avocado spread! It’s a perfect healthy substitute for mayo (50 calories for 2 Tb as opposed to 120+ for the same amount of mayonnaise), contains protein thanks to the cottage cheese, healthy nutrients from the avocado, and has a fantastic flavorful kick thanks to the hot sauce and garlic.
All with the delicious creaminess you crave!
This spread is easily customized to your family’s tastes. Don’t like strong flavors? Reduce the garlic, roast it first, or skip it altogether. Sensitive taste buds? Reduce the lime juice. Need MORE flavor? Salt and pepper liberally or add some cilantro. Mess around with the amounts until you find a combination that works for you.
And then you’ll find an excuse to spread it on EVERYTHING, I guarantee it!
- 1/2 cup full-fat cottage cheese
- approximately 4 oz avocado (about 1/2 a large, or 1 whole medium)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 10 drops of your favorite hot sauce
- salt + pepper to taste
Combine in your food processor until completely smooth. Season to taste. Use on anything your heart desires!
- spread it on sandwiches
- use it on avocado toast
- make a grilled cheese with pepper jack, roasted red peppers, and avocado spread
- drizzle in some olive oil to the food processor to make a creamy southwest salad dressing
- add cilantro, a little more lime juice, and olive oil to make a cole slaw dressing
- top your tacos
- dip your veggies
- fill or top green enchiladas
- use in place of hummus
*Note: Due to the oxidation of the avocados, this spread will not stay pretty and green for long. It’s best used immediately!