If you follow me here on All Mom Does, you know that cooking takes a back seat to basically everything else in my life. I am blessed with a husband that not only will cook, but enjoys it and is actually good at it! This being said, I do have this recipe handy in case I need to step up and take over kitchen duty once in awhile.
This Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is great for the following reasons:
- Easy (I mean, really really easy!)
- Kid friendly (TIP- strain it…unless you have super well mannered kids who can actually properly and neatly eat soup)
- You’ll come home to the aroma of dinner being ready
- Organic or not organic, you can make this either way
- Makes enough for leftovers (all your co-workers will be so jealous of your lunch the following day!)
Here is what you’ll need:
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz typically)
- Red enchilada sauce (about 10 oz).
My favorite is the bottled kind from Trader Joes.
- 1 can diced green chilies (4 oz)
- 1 can black beans (drain them)
- Bag of frozen corn kernels (about 10 oz)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic gloves, minced.
My favorite are those jars of the already minced up cloves. You can find them at most grocery stores.
- 4 Cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2-4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (uncooked)
- Cilantro. I dislike it but my husband loves it. So, he adds it to his portion.
- Tortilla chips, cheese, avocado sour cream as a topper. Yummmm!
Here’s what you do:
- Put ALL ingredients (except optional) into a slow cooker
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours (I have left it on longer while I am gone at work and it’s totally fine!) or 3-4 hours on high
- Remove chicken and pull apart (it will basically fall apart)
- Add toppers
Do you love your slow cooker? What is your favorite slow cooker recipe?