Do you have time to make and eat a well-balanced breakfast every morning before rushing off to school drop off and that morning meeting you have to present at? Neither do I! Every time I swing through Starbucks for a warmed up blueberry scone (um, yes they are amazing), I typically wish I had saved the money and calories and just been a bit more prepared. This recipe is easy, yummy and healthy (well at least better than that blueberry scone). Make a batch or two on Sunday and you will have them for the whole family that week.
Here is what you will need:
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup oat bran
1 cup flour
2 small or 1 large mashed banana
1 apple grated or cut in small cubes
1 cup grated carrot and/or zucchini (tip, you can buy carrots already grated which is a huge time and patience saver!)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup veg oil (I play around with the amount and some days use less than ½ cup)
1/2 cup blueberries
dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup kefir or yogurt or buttermilk (I use plain organic yogurt)
Optional- Brown Sugar
Here is what you do:
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix together the flours/bran, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the oil, eggs, bananas thoroughly then fold in the yogurt/buttermilk.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and fold in the apple chunks, carrot, coconut.
- Lastly, and gently, fold in the blueberries.
NOTE- I don’t follow rules of “folding” so I basically stir it all together and it turns out just fine.
- Pour/spoon mixture into muffin tins (Tip, use liners so they are even easier to grab and go).
- Optional- sprinkle tops with brown sugar with a dash cinnamon (I do this to mine but not to the ones I give the kids…don’t tell them!)
- Bake at 350 for about 18 mins, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins for 5 minutes in the tin, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Makes about 12 muffins, give or take. Approximately 170 calories each. That’s like 200 fewer calories than what you will typically get when you eat a coffee shop pastry!
Do you have any quick/easy/healthy recipes to share?