After all the hustle and bustle of the holidays, it is very common for people (especially mommas) to get the blues in January. And – as if we need the extra post-holiday stress – January has also somehow become synonymous with cleaning, sorting, and suddenly becoming storage queens extraordinaire. So, I offer you a different kind of to-do list for the New Year!
- Paint your nails a funky color. It’s hard to be blue when your nails are … well, blue!
- Buy some “Mr. Bubble”, light a candle and soak in the tub.
- Speaking of candles, buy yourself a votive in your favorite scent. For under two dollars your house will smell divine.
- Skip cooking dinner and order pizza instead. Tip the pizza person a little extra, just for fun.
- Buy yourself a special mug and/or flavored coffee, tea or cocoa. Sip your favorite beverage (while you eat leftover Christmas cookies).
- Plan a phone date with someone who makes you laugh.
- Get one of those new adult coloring books and some colored pencils. Feel free to color outside the lines!
- Blast your favorite music from when you were a teen. Dance like no one is watching.
- Go to the library and check out a “fluffy” novel for some mindless reading.
- Put together a jigsaw puzzle. Thrift stores always have a large selection.
January is a perfect time to rest and rejuvenate. So, I say: put away those storage tubs, give yourself a break and have some fun! After all, no one can cheer you up better than you can! (I should embroider that on a pillow!) Happy New Year, everyone!