It’s time to be inspired! Getting and staying healthy does not have to be complicated. Here are 10 ways to get healthy this year that anyone can accomplish. Plus, come, learn and leave inspired at the INSPIRE! Community Be Healthy Event happening on Saturday, January 14th from 10am – 5pm at the Lynnwood Convention Center.
Drink water. This is non-negotiable. Your body needs enough water to operate effectively and not drinking enough water will affect every aspect of your life. The Mayo Clinic recommends 9-13 cups of water a day! If you don’t like the taste of water you can flavor it with tea, lemon or lime. I’ve been told coffee doesn’t count as water. I know, I was disappointed too.
Eat your vegetables and fruit. My children always tell me they hate vegetables whenever I cook them. But, I’ve found they love raw veggies. One way to get delicious vegetables in your home is to get a Box of Good delivered from Klesick Farms. What I love about this is they pick great stuff for you. It’s fresh and delicious and so fun to get in the mail. They have a special deal right now that will allow you $10 off your first box with code ‘Get Healthy’!! Don’t pass this up.
If you have picky kids you can take these yummy veggies and hide them in foods. We have some easy recipe ideas if you want to give it a try.
Exercise. Before you groan, this doesn’t have to be a whole ordeal. For starters try to incorporate it into things you are already doing. Are you bringing the laundry upstairs? Take a moment to run your stairs in your house. Instead of driving through the drive through to drop your kids off at school, walk if you can. Don’t shoot for the stars if you haven’t been exercising, start small so it is manageable and set realistic goals for yourself.
Cook at home. There are tons of great ways to make this happen for your family and you can customize based on what will work for you, but here are a few that have worked for us.
- Produce delivery – Box of Good from Klesick Farms. Get $10 off your first box with code ‘Get Healthy’
- Prep Freezer meals
- Try new recipes. We’ve got some great ones right here and also love Skinnytaste, Fix, Freeze, Feast and Not Without Salt.
- When you get those raw veggies portion them out for easy snacking. Same goes for sweets. If you have a hard time controlling how much you are going to eat then portion them out. Give yourself permission to have a treat, but keep it small and manageable.
- Meal Planning. This can seem daunting, but thankfully we’ve got some great tips to keep it easy.
Don’t give up. Set realistic goals for yourself. Change happens in a thousand little moments and not one big moments. This sweet little advice with inspire you.
Vitamins. If it feels overwhelming to figure out exactly what you should take go visit your doctor or a naturopath to get advice.
Rest. No excuses, just get rest.
Quiet time with the Lord is essential for spiritual health. “I just don’t have time.” I know, I say this over and over again and here is the thing. Make time. When I make time, I have the gift of time. Also, build it into things you are already doing. Listen to a devotion during your commute or while you are doing the dishes. Have a family devotion time once a week. Don’t get discouraged if you aren’t perfect at this 100% of the time, just do it. Try it and start it and it will start to get easier.
Community to keep you accountable. I can already hear your voice. “I don’t have time to add one more thing to my life.” Friends, community should be on your list, but it doesn’t have to be time consuming or traditional. You may be in a season of life where developing an online community would be perfect. Join a community FB group with a similar interest (cooking, sewing, motherhood) and chat with people there. Local communities usually have a FB page that you can join. It’s free and will give you some interaction. If you are already attending a church, plug into a group there. Find a few people (you don’t need hundreds) that can encourage you not just in these 10 steps, but in life.
Seek encouragement. We all crave it. Try these simple ways to build some in.
- Listen to a local radio station. Our Stations SPIRIT 105.3 and PRAISE 106.5 are running a New Year, New You campaign encouraging you to listen for 30 days. Listening to the joy and hope found through the music is sure to lift your spirits.
- Find an inspirational podcast or book.
- Once a week come up with a verse or word for the week and write it somewhere where you see it often. I once saw a blog where the gal would write it on her mirror and then see it every day when getting ready in the morning.
All this stuff is so important and it doesn’t have to be complicated. Take small, baby steps as you begin the path toward health and wellness in 2017.
Don’t forget about these great ways to get jump started: Try Klesick Farms today with $10 off your first Box of Good with code ‘Get Healthy’. This is a great way to jump start your new year. And, join their community event INSPIRE! Community Be Healthy Event on January 14th from 10am – 5pm at the Lynnwood Convention Center.