A special thanks to Scott Hamilton for joining us this week on The Modern Motherhood Podcast. He is a professional figure skater, Olympic Gold Medalist, cancer survivor, father and all around humble, authentic guy!
We are so excited about this conversation he had with Julie about his new book “Finish First” and how we can help our kids grow, overcome failure and understand the value of losing. Listen to their incredible topics:
- The Olympics & PyeongChang
- His new book “Finish First“
- The conversation of should everyone win? Should everyone get a spot on the team? What about participation trophies?
- Don’t avoid doing the hard stuff as a parent. Learn how to walk your kids through losing moments. Keep perspective on where growth is.
- “Failure is just information.” – Scott Hamilton
- How to learn to edit your critics.
- Every child is different. Learn who they are unique. Enjoy the process of uncovering it and finding their specific purpose.
- Teaching our children how to win and lose with the same amount of dignity.
- How do we knock out our weaknesses?
- How to squeeze every, amazing drop out of this life we live.
- How do you align a faith perspective with competitiveness?
- How do we encourage our kids when they’ve given it everything and feel they don’t get where they want to be? How can we identify and leverage their gifts?
- Where he kept his Olympic Gold medal and why. It was somewhere surprising!
Next week join us as Julie chats with Sarah Mackenzie, founder of Read-Aloud Revival and author of Read-Aloud family. See you next week!
A special thanks to MOPS International for sponsoring our podcast!
About Scott Hamilton
The most recognized male figure skating star in the world, Scott Hamilton has won 70 titles, awards and honors including an Emmy Award nomination, induction into the United States Olympic Hall of Fame and a privileged member of the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame.
In 1984, Scott captured the attention of the world with his Olympic Gold medal performances in Saravejo and since has shared his love and enthusiasm for the sport as a analyst/commentator, performer, producer and best-selling author (Landing It, 1999; The Great Eight, 2009). He further inspires others as a speaker, humanitarian, and as a cancer and pituitary brain tumor survivor.
After losing his mother to cancer, then becoming survivor himself, Scott turned activist, launching the Scott Hamilton CARES Foundation (Cancer Alliance for Research, Education and Survivorship). He founded several education and survivorship programs including Chemocare.com and the 4th Angel Mentoring Program. Events such as Sk8 to Elimin8 Cancer and An Evening with Scott Hamilton & Friends galas fund research into treatments that treat the cancer and spare the patient.
He is also the founder of the Scott Hamilton Skating Academy at Ford Ice Center in Antioch, TN, where he may frequently be found coaching Learn to Skate students and sharing his love of skating.
In what little free time remains, Scott can be found on the golf course and enjoys spending time with his wife Tracie and four children – at their home outside Nashville, Tennessee.
About Finish First
Finish First is a wake-up call for business leaders, entrepreneurs, spouses, parents, and even students to stop settling for mediocre, revitalize their intrinsic will to achieve excellence, and go for the win. In this book Scott offers life-changing principles that will help you achieve success on your terms.
Join Scott as he explains
- Why you aren’t a winner–yet
- Understanding your unique purpose
- How to break the pattern of losing
- Why you should ditch fear and celebrate failure
- The importance of editing your critics
You’ll be amazed at how simple and logical it is to be better than you’ve ever been. Awaken your greatest potential and embrace the fact that you were born for something special. Raise the bar and show your competitors what it will take for them to be better as well.