Want a fun new twist on the classic ‘dog in a bun? This recipe is perfect for grilling season – a simple grilled sausage topped with fresh ingredients and packed with flavor!
This month we’re partnering with Isernio’s, which has just launched a new line of fully cooked chicken sausages. They are made from chickens that are certified humanely raised, fed a 100% vegetarian diet, and were given no antibiotics ever. Plus, they have no MSG, gluten, nitrates or nitrites, contain no fillers, and are free of preservatives so you can feel good about feeding them to your family. Isernio’s has sponsored this recipe.
Here’s how to make what’s sure to be a new summer favorite – Grilled Caprese Dogs with Garlic Bread Buns and Balsamic.
- 1 package Isernio’s Fully Cooked Caprese Chicken Sausage
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 1 pkg (11 oz.) cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 small shallot (3 oz.)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tb. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- fresh mozzarella, sliced
- fresh basil
- 2 Tb. butter (softened)
- balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Halve the cherry tomatoes, thinly slice the shallot, and smash the cloves of garlic while still keeping them whole. Combine them in a small mixing bowl with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. Place the mixture in a glass baking dish or, if you use a metal baking sheet, line it with parchment paper (do not roast tomatoes directly on a metal pan). Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
4. After 20 minutes, stir the tomatoes. Place them back in the oven for 20 more minutes.
5. Preheat your grill. Grill your sausages over medium heat for about 10 minutes (since they are fully cooked, you are just heating them). At the same time, toast your hoagie rolls on the grill over low heat.
6. Remove your tomatoes from the oven. Remove the whole garlic cloves from the mixture.
7. Spread the butter on your toasted hoagie rolls. Rub the roasted garlic cloves across them to infuse them with a garlic flavor.
8. Place the buns on a baking sheet and put a sausage in each of the buns. Top with the tomato mixture and sliced mozzarella cheese.
9. Place under the broiler with the oven door propped open slightly; watch them closely as they will burn quickly.
10. Remove them from the broiler when the cheese is melted and the buns are well toasted.
11. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and top with fresh chopped basil.