Do you ever notice how you can slave for hours over a healthy dinner only to be met with a resounding: “YUCK!” from your family? It often seems like we are thwarted at every attempt we make to feed our families foods that are good for them. And, yet we keep trying because that’s what moms do.
I think the general population has become more educated on what we “should” be eating. So, why is it we still fall short of the mark?
Perhaps, it’s because the naughty foods are the ones we remember from our childhoods. The calorie-laden treats may not have added anything health-wise to our bodies, but somehow they nourished our souls. We remember the times mom took us out for ice cream before dinner. We still thrill at the cake that was shaped like a doll dress for our birthday. We remember visits to the bakery and warm cookies from mom’s oven.
The memories of those special treats transport us back to those happy times. That’s why (especially as a Nana) I’m not rigid about goodies for kids. I want my grands to experience as much magic in their childhoods as possible.
This week my granddaughter had a ballet recital and everyone gathered at my house for dessert afterwards. It was the perfect opportunity for me to make these decadent Oreo stuffed brownies. Seriously, how much naughtier can you get?
- 1 box of brownie mix (plus ingredients to make them)
- 24 Oreos (any flavor, I used PB and Double Stuff)
- ½ cup peanut butter (approximately)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Prepare the brownie mix according to the package directions.
- For each brownie: spread 1 teaspoon of PB on top of an Oreo cookie, top with another Oreo and put another 1 teaspoon of PB on top of that. Place a stack into each muffin cup.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of brownie mix over each stack and let it run down the sides (you can help it along with a knife).
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until the brownies are cooked through.
And, you will have enough leftover brownie batter to make the recipe below!
PB FILLED MINI BROWNIES
Grease a 24 count mini muffin pan and fill it with the rest of the brownie dough. Bake for 10-11 minutes at 350 degrees. As soon as they come out of the oven, press a small measuring teaspoon into the middle of each one. Microwave some peanut butter until it is “gooshy” and spoon it into the indentation you have made. Top with a chocolate chip and let cool completely (if you can). Yum!