The transition from summer to being back in school isn’t only hard on the kids. The first week of school can be chaos for us moms too as we re-adjust schedules and remember what it’s like to be on a more consistent routine. As with the past two years, here are my ten favorite fails from myself and other moms in my life (yes, including some of our other AMD Bloggers).
- Putting your kid in the wrong uniform. Why the school would create an extra challenge of the first day being “chapel uniform”, I don’t know. But this mom definitely didn’t get the memo. Ok, they may have gotten the memo, but who has time to read all those school emails?
- Coming to school a day early. The first day of school was the Wednesday after Labor Day. This mom arrived with her kids on the Tuesday after Labor Day. I was crying laughing at this because just think of how defeated she probably felt. Hey, at least there was no line at drop off. But also nobody to drop her kids off to.
- Not knowing when the first day of school is. Similar to the mom who came a day early, this mom arrived on the right day to drop off her second grader and kindergartner. Well, the right day for her second grader at least. She was informed kindergarten didn’t start for another two days. Both the mom and the kindergartner then cried in the car. Dear schools, how are we supposed to keep track of students starting on different days?
- Losing your kid. This is our fourth year at the same school so we are very comfortable with the layout, the teachers etc. Maybe a little too comfortable because after picking up my Kindergartner, I completely lost track of where my 2nd grader went. I had to be “that mom” asking teachers if they had seen my kid. I wish I could have waited until the second week of school to lose a kid. Don’t worry, I found him.
- Forgetting the no nut rule. Sure, there was probably an email about school being a nut free zone. But that didn’t stop this mom from packing a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for her kid’s lunch. But wait there’s more. She also packed peanut butter crackers for their lunch.
- Tummy issues. This mom was at a back to school event where kids learn who their teachers are. Let’s just say finding a bathroom became the number one priority. This happened not once but twice and she says she was basically running across campus desperate for a bathroom while dragging her kids behind her like “let’s go!” She is pretty sure people were looking at her like she was crazy.
- Forgetting important medication. “I moved heaven and earth to get the pediatrician to fax the medication form for my son’s prescription before school began. Then I failed to actually send the prescription with him.”
- Forgetting school supplies on the first day of school. If you’ve done the same, you are in good company because this one has made the list two years running now.
- Waking up late. Of all days for your alarm not to go off or to sleep through it! One mom did this and, therefore, her kids missed the bus. She rushed them to school but they were still late and class had already begun. Probably not the best way to ensure the teacher can put a face to your name.
- Kindergarten 1:1 fail. This mom had a meeting with the kindergarten teacher the day before school started. Her five year old crawled around on her hands and knees the whole time talking like a baby. The mom’s response to this was perfect: “Yes, she is very ready for kindergarten.”
What are your best back to school mom fail stories? We would LOVE to hear!