Our guest today loves Chik-Fil-A, understands life with a preemie, loves God and watching his plans unfold, knows what it is like to watch life unravel, and was called into building multi-cultural community in the church. Join us today for an incredible time with Dorena Williamson as we dig into the beauty of race and the importance of the conversations we have with our children.
- Dorena talks about meeting her husband and how they were “Opposites Repel.” This story will crack you up.
- Why does God bring us into seasons of unraveling?
- Multi-cultural church planting. Hear more about why she feels God called her into this work.
- An incredible reminder that God is working in the background even when we don’t feel it.
- What does the church look like when it is multi-racial? What changes?
- How do we have conversations about race with our children in a world where we are worried about saying something wrong?
- Dorena has a new book that will help children celebrate the color in the world. It is called ColorFull.
- Dorena says we should become a “student of what we don’t know.” As a parent, it’s okay if we don’t have all the answers. It is a good example when we are researching and and learning right along with our children.
- Don’t say in the land of “I don’t know. I’m uncomfortable.”
- How do we handle it when our kids don’t understand and don’t always understand differences very well? How can we equip our children honor differences?
- We cannot be only reactive parents. We need to address issues before they arise.
- How can we create an environment where children feel comfortable asking their questions?
- Dorena has some great insight for families that are transracial.
- We all have a story. How can we teach our children to be open to the stories of others?
- Her second book ThoughtFull tackles friendships with children that are differently-abled. All our abilities are God given and it is a powerful reminder.
- If you are a mom or dad who has some conviction in any of these areas based on upbringing or other background situations, here are some ways you can overcome those things and begin to model a better way for your children.
- Catch up on the Katie Ganshert interview where we discuss some similar themes.
- Be The Bridge
- Follow Dorena on Twitter, Instagram or Online
Next week we can’t wait to welcome Selena Fredrick and we will dig into not just making your marriage great, but making it fierce! See you next week.
Friend, we a have something incredible to share with you. We are looking to have 10 children sponsored from Compassion International. Did you know that these children are waiting and they KNOW they are waiting? When you see on the Compassion Website the amount of days a child is waiting, the child knows. They see other children at the Child Development center having the benefit of a sponsor. Please prayerfully consider joining us as we look to get these children sponsored, especially those that have been waiting a long time!
You’ll be able to find the latest episode of The Modern Motherhood Podcast with Julie Lyles Carr every Tuesday on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, TuneIn here on the blog, SoundCloud, YouTube & Facebook. Subscribe now so you don’t miss an episode! Full list of episodes. Full list of show notes.
Please take a moment to give us a rating on iTunes to help us spread the word! We want to feature your review on the podcast. Take a moment to leave us some words and you could hear yours!