First step, first word, first day of school, getting a driver’s license, graduation day – these are huge milestones that every parent knows is coming and looks forward to celebrating. I don’t want to discount these significant achievements, but I believe there are some equally noteworthy moments on the parenting journey that don’t get enough attention. So today, I present to you:
The Top 10 Overlooked Parenting Milestones.
1. The first time you can immediately identify whether your baby is hungry, tired, wet, or gassy based on their cry – what a confidence booster!
2. The first time you effectively communicate with your little one – whether they finally can tell you what they want with sign language, pointing, or unintelligible words only a mama can understand.
3. The first time you feel completely rested and human for more than 2 days in a row.*
*Please note that this is VERY different than the first time your baby sleeps through the night
4. The day when you can finally tell your preschooler, “Go get dressed!” and they do. Without you.
5. The day they can climb in the car and buckle the seatbelt by themselves.
6. The day they can go get themselves a snack.
7. The day they can go get you a snack.
8. The day they are 100% independent in the bathroom.
9. The day you make that final daycare payment.
10. When they can run errands for you.
With my oldest, we’re solidly through #7 – most days we’re even through #8. But since I’m still pretty early on my own parenting journey, I know I’m missing some good ones. So let’s make this list longer – what are your additions? What are some other overlooked parenting milestones that we should all be looking forward to?