Last week I shared with you some tips for a lower body workout. This week, let’s add some focus to our upper body. Motivate yourself by thinking ahead to summer and how rewarding it will be to show off some toned muscles. If we start now, we can easily succeed by the time the weather warms up. My goal is to work my upper body twice a week.
Sticking with my promise of a workout for everyone and every fitness level, here is this week’s challenge:
- Chest push-ups(hands out wide)
- Start out on your knees. Focus less on your speed and reps and more on your form. Take a break after every 2 if it means you are doing them right.
- Once strength is gained, you can move from your knees to your toes.
- Aim for 10 at first and gradually increase.
- Shoulder Circles
- Arms straight out horizontal.
- Circle them in a forward motion.
- Aim for one minute but remember that you need to start with the level that works for you. Even 15 seconds is something to be proud of!
- Dish Towel Tricep Extensions
- Hold a dishtowel with hands at opposite ends.
- Left hand to right hip and extend the right arm back and forth working those muscles in the backs of the arms. Keep tension on the dish towel when pulling it back.
- If you have access to weights, use a free weight (2-10 lbs) to extend that arm back.
- Switch and do the other arm.
- Aim for 10 or more on each arm.
- Shoulder Circles– The other direction
- Back Toning Claps
- Start by holding arms straight out horizontal.
- Simply clap above your head and lower arms back horizontal.
- Then clap in front of your body.
- Squeeze those back and arm muscles each time.
- Aim for at least 30 total claps.
Stay tuned for later this week when I post pictures and how to on Facebook of some of my NEW gym routine. It will give you good direction if you, like many of us, feel lost when entering the weight area of a gym.
Did you catch my workout video this week on Facebook? Go check it out!
Here’s to getting fit, staying fit and getting fitter in 2015!