It never fails: the hour before you have guests arriving is pure chaos. Finishing up last minute tidying – or in some cases this is known as Operation: Hide the Clutter Somewhere.
Then there is ensuring the food and drinks are ready which, in my house, typically means sending my husband off for an emergency trip to the grocery store for something I have forgotten. And more times than not, with about 30 minutes to show time, I realize my hair is still wet in a towel.
It’s a good thing I don’t throw a lot of parties.
One thing I am slowly learning is the importance of make-ahead dishes. I discovered an awesome one and made it this past weekend when I had some of my favorite gals over. It was delicious and the recipe actually calls for it to be chilled overnight. Give it a try the next time you need a new make-ahead dish that’s sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Mango Chutney Pasta Salad
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 3 cups bite sized broccoli florets (I buy them bagged, cut and washed)
- 1 large red pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups mayonnaise (I used light and a bit less than 2 cups and it was great)
- 2 cups mango chutney (a bit pricey but so good!)
- 2 Tablespoons mild curry powder
- 2-3 Tablespoons honey
- Optional~ 4 boned and skinned chicken breast halves (cooked). Salt and peppered a bit.
- Optional~1 cup red grapes cut in half
- Cook the pasta according to package directions (I go for al dente)
- In a large bowl, mix in ALL ingredients. Yeah, it’s that easy.
- Chill overnight or for at least 4 hours