Last month, KidCo Productions and South Hill Mall partnered to hold a Super Saturday Playdate to promote the message of bully prevention. There were fun family giveaways, activities for the kids, and the chance for kids and parents to learn more about how to combat bullying.
The good news is that if you didn’t make it in September, THEY’RE DOING IT AGAIN OCTOBER 29TH!
Even more good news is that I was able to chat with KidCo Executive Director Lexi Barnett about how to prevent cyberbullying. It’s a phenomenon that’s becoming increasingly common and tragic stories have made the news in recent years.
Out of fear, many parents declare that their children will never be allowed to use social media – but for many families that’s just not realistic. School groups, sports teams, and church youth groups use social media to communicate. Friends maintain connections via social media channels. And as parents we have the opportunity to teach our children to manage social media appropriately and healthfully rather than encourage them to avoid it.
Some quick tips on how to prevent cyberbullying:
- know what social media channels your child is using
- create household rules around social media usage
- consider apps that limit how much and when your child can be online
- make it clear to your child that they should NOT share their passwords with friends – many people are logging on under accounts that are not their own
- be familiar with your school’s social media guidelines
Want more information about KidCo. Productions and their message of character building and bully prevention? Check out their website at www.kidcoproductions.com.