Here is the deal. As I discussed previously, I am a bit obsessed with Hallmark movies. The previously blog I wrote talked a bit about how I manage to watch Hallmark without having cable. There are a few options and one of those options is Sling TV. My husband and I debated for awhile if we wanted to try this service. In the end, we thought we’d give it a go and now after a month I want to report to you what we like and don’t like.
Note: Sling TV is not sponsoring this. I just tried it because I am obsessed with Hallmark movies and was trying to find a cheap(ish) way to watch them this Christmas season.
- It’s easy to set up. You can access it with a smart TV, Roku or Amazon Fire Stick. There is a special deal on the Website to sign up for 2 months and get a free Roku stick. Could be a good way to go if you don’t have one already or don’t have a smart tv.
- We purchased the “Sling Orange” package with an addition of the “Lifestyle” package to add on Hallmark. It is $25 a month. Not terrible. Definitely cheaper than cable TV. I think if you started adding on a lot of other channel packages like “Sports” or “Kids” or any others it could add up faster and start to be spendy. I wish I could just purchase the “Lifestyle” channels without the full “Sling Orange.”
- We don’t really watch TV in real time so we are not accustomed to commercials and trying to figure out what time things are actually on TV. If we decided to watch Hallmark at 9pm and there wasn’t a Hallmark movie on then we were stuck with reruns of Golden Girls or forced to choose something else. There are some on demand movies you can watch for each station but they are older movies. There is an option to add a DVR function but that is an additional $5 a month. We haven’t done that.
- If you watch multiple channels it is a better value for you than for someone like me looking to just watch Hallmark.
- We have experienced a few times when the service wouldn’t stream, it just kept freezing. We have not had this problem with either Amazon Prime or Netflix. It is sporadic. Not a deal breaker, but could be annoying.
As the Hallmark Christmas movie schedule starts on 10/27 I am excited to see if we are able to catch Christmas shows more regularly. Did you see that Hallmark released their Christmas schedule?? They have a downloadable copy on their Website. Once the Christmas schedule rolls out it will be 24/7 movies so I think we’ll be able to catch something every time we tune in.
Would I recommend Sling TV? Maybe. If there are a lot of shows you like to watch I think this is a good option for you. I haven’t decided yet if we’ll continue on after the Christmas season. We’ll see. They do have a free trial if you want to see if it would work for you. If you do give it a go report back and let us know what you think!