Another first week of school has come and gone. Kids are adjusting to new teachers, new friends and navigating all that is ahead of them. Moms, we are adjusting too!
Last year, I captured ten hilarious mom fails from the first week of school. So, it’s no surprise that 2017 comes with just as many embarrassing, stressful and pull-your-hair-out moments.
Here are my 10 favorite mom fails from the first week of school. Some may or may not be my own.
- “I was wondering what the long line was to pick up kids when there were clearly two wide open lanes. I figured it was the preschool lineup or something so I took advantage of the clear lanes. That is until I realized it was the Bus Only area and all the moms were scowling at me, and a bus driver. I kinda wanna buy a different car so nobody recognizes me tomorrow.”
- “My son wore shorts from the dirty laundry because he didn’t have anything else to match his first-day-of-school shirt. Last year, he wore socks from his hamper. I think we’ve started a tradition!”
- Dropping off your kid late – school starts at 8:30, not 9? Ok, noted.
- Picking up kids late – Also good to note is that school dismisses at 2:45, not 3:15.
- “Dropping off my daughter late at a brand new school where we knew nobody. All the other kids were already inside the classroom which almost set off a massive crying attack. I pushed my daughter inside and ran.”
- Forgetting school supplies on the first day of school.
- “I checked my preschooler in and they asked for the paperwork packet…that I never opened in the mail because I didn’t think it was anything important. I tried to fake that I never received It. So there I stood filling it all out on the spot while the other more organized moms simply arrived, dropped off their kid, and left.”
- Committing to pick up your friend’s kids on the first day of school. The first day of school ends, you pick up your kids and wave to your friend’s kids as you drive away. Minutes later you get a call from your friend but don’t answer because, hey, you’re driving! You continue driving and then it hits you that maybe she was calling to ensure pick-up went ok. Either that or because the school called her wondering where she is. Either way, she may not ask you to do her any favors again.
- Receiving a mass email at work from Security on the first day of school indicating there was a car left running in the office parking lot. You laugh at how someone could do that. Then you realize it’s your car! Apparently the rush of that first morning drop off and then hustling into work left no time for minor things like turning off the car.
- Going to the wrong school to pick up your kids. Yes, one of my friends actually did this. In her defense, it was the same school her kids attended…last year. She got about ½ way down the pick-up lineup before she realized she needed to be a few blocks away at the school her kids were actually at.
What are your best back-to-school mom fail stories? We would LOVE to hear!