Best-selling author Emerson Eggerichs joins Julie Lyles Carr today. You may recognize him from his book Love & Respect, which has healed a lot of marriages. His new book, The Respect Effect, unpacks the relationship between moms and their sons. The dynamics between moms and sons are vital. You won’t want to miss this conversation.
- Emerson Eggerichs discusses his role as a son and how the wounds of his life shaped his relationships with his parents.
- When he was 2 he saw his dad almost strangle his mom. When he was 11 he found out his dad was committing adultery. The relationships he had with his dad was tumultuous and mutually they decided to send him to military school, where he learned about Jesus through a Billy Graham video.
- God intends to use our wounds.
- What does the wounded healer mean?
- The relationship with a son and the relationship with a daughter are so different and it can be very puzzling to figure out.
- When you’ve had a struggling mother relationship, it can leave lasting impacts. Listen to some of the Biblical reasons for this.
- Emerson gives real life examples of how to talk to your son.
- You will get insight into the brain of your son and how you can better speak and relate to your son
- Respect is a huge issue for boys. Learn what this means and how you can communicate respect to your son.
- What is the age that boys start needing this? Age 4!
- Why the word respect and honor are so different than the word Love and how they relate to our relationship with our sons.
- What if you don’t have a son? Learn why this message is still vital to you!
- Respecting your son does not mean you don’t also discipline. Emerson unpacks how to incorporate honor language into this as well.
- If you have a pain or woundedness in your life because of a man, guard against passing on a spirit of contempt to your son.
- Follow Emerson Eggerichs on Twitter, Facebook, or Online.
This was an incredible conversation on developing that respect relationship with our sons. Next week we will be joined by Emily Stroud and we are going to talk all things money and how to budget and make money work for you.
Special thanks to our sponsor MOPS International.
You’ll be able to find the latest episode of The Modern Motherhood Podcast with Julie Lyles Carr every Tuesday on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, TuneIn here on the blog, SoundCloud, YouTube & Facebook. Subscribe now so you don’t miss an episode! Full list of episodes. Full list of show notes.
Please take a moment to give us a rating on iTunes to help us spread the word! We want to feature your review on the podcast. Take a moment to leave us some words and you could hear yours!