We’ve done a pretty good job of talking to our kids about dating, marriage and having kids. We haven’t done a great job of talking about living a life of singleness and doing it well. Today Julie Lyles Carr is joined by Joy Beth Smith to talk about singleness and how to have the right conversations with our kids.
- Joy Beth Smith’s new book Party of One: Truth, Longing, and the Subtle Art of Singleness
- Why do we prioritize marriage so highly?
- Why does the church have a hard time talking about singleness?
- We need to be equipping people to live singleness well not just forcing them into relationships.
- The age people are getting married is much higher so the average time period that people are spending single is much higher. What does this mean for our culture?
- Empathy is so important with our kids, especially if they are expressing frustration in their singleness.
- Singleness is not a paint by number. It is not the same for everywhere and there isn’t a certain way it should look. We need to find God’s best for us in the moment we are in.
- What are the things we can do right now to send the right messages to our kids about marriage and singleness?
- Who are we as women to the very core – without motherhood? What does biblical womanhood really look like?
- What does the modern world of dating look like and how do we help our kids navigate it?
- There is such a difference between a hope and a wish. Hear about the difference and how we can stand in hope for God’s goodness.
- Online dating is here and a very huge part of the dating culture. You need to be aware of the platforms.
- Learn more about keeping your kids safe online with Kacee Bree Jensen.
- Singleness and sexuality. How do you prepare your children for adult life, especially if your children are single for awhile? We should be having these conversations in the home and in the church and they are often the last places.
- Single people are not necessarily career focused. Julie and Joy dig into some other assumptions that people make that aren’t necessarily true of single people and that can be very painful.
- Find out more about Giving Keys
- Follow Beth on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Online.
We are excited to welcome actors Kevin and Sam Sorbo to the podcast next week. You don’t want to miss it. See you next week!
Special thanks to our sponsor MOPS International
You’ll be able to find the latest episode of The Modern Motherhood Podcast with Julie Lyles Carr every Tuesday on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, TuneIn here on the blog, SoundCloud, YouTube & Facebook. Subscribe now so you don’t miss an episode! Full list of episodes. Full list of show notes.
Please take a moment to give us a rating on iTunes to help us spread the word! We want to feature your review on the podcast. Take a moment to leave us some words and you could hear yours!