As a mom it is so important to show our kids the world and help them develop empathy. For only $1 a day you can support a child with Compassion International. Give your kids the world and change the life of a child.
Sometimes the thought of having people over is a little overwhelming. Today, Kristin Schell has some ideas on how to be a good neighbor with her idea of the Turquoise Table. Her mission is: “I’m on a mission to love my neighbors. I put an ordinary picnic table in my front yard, painted it turquoise and invited neighbors, friends, and even strangers to hang out and do life together at the Turquoise Table. ”
- Hear how the Turquoise Table started.
- What does it mean to be a front yard person.
- Kristin was frustrated over technology and the fact that she didn’t know her neighbors. This is what she did about it.
- Why turquoise?
- What was it like to have a completely random idea just take off across the world?
- From Kristin’s Website: The Turquoise Table has become a meeting place—kind of like the old village well—for neighbors, friends, and even strangers, to hang out and do life together. The table has spurred a front yard revival in our neighborhood and had become a welcome place to gather and love. We call ourselves Front Yard People.
- We are longing for community and connection. This is an easy way you can make it happen.
- We’ve made subtle changes to our homes and communities that have impacted how we are being neighbors. Find out what these things are and how we can overcome them.
- We are making community much too hard. Find out how we can simplify.
- Download her “Getting Started” checklist.
- Kristin started an “iBasket.” Find out how they use it and how it has made such a difference in their home.
- It is essential that we model and teach how to be disconnected from our technology.
- Conversation is an art. It’s okay to practice.
- Just keep it simple.
- What do you do when the people around you aren’t the safest? How do we keep our kids safe and also reach out. An important conversation.
- What is the definition of hospitality? Love of strangers.
- There is a vast difference between entertainment and hospitality.
- We were not created by God to live in isolation. We were created for him and for each other. Learn the art of neighboring.
- Top tips for the overwhelmed mom feeling like there is no time for this kind of thing. Learn the practical ways you can engage.
- Kristin Schell has a new Turquoise Table podcast! Check it out: http://www.kristinschell.com/podcast/
- Check out her Turquoise Table line at Tuesday Morning
- Find Kristin Online, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
Next week we are welcoming another Kristen to the podcast. Kristen Welch joins us to share her passion about raising kids who are grateful and ready to change their world. Learn more next week.
Special thanks to our sponsor MOPS International.
You’ll be able to find the latest episode of The Modern Motherhood Podcast with Julie Lyles Carr every Tuesday on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, TuneIn here on the blog, SoundCloud, YouTube & Facebook. Subscribe now so you don’t miss an episode! Full list of episodes. Full list of show notes.
Please take a moment to give us a rating on iTunes to help us spread the word! We want to feature your review on the podcast. Take a moment to leave us some words and you could hear yours!